Thank You de Poel!

A huge thank you to the company, de Poel, for sponsoring Day 21 of my Run Across Britain challenge. Not only have de Poel so generously sponsored this stage of the run, they have also come out to both cheer and run alongside me. I had 13 de Poel employees joining me - some did 5k and others 10k, There was even a half marathon runner with me, which is all a fantastic support and great to have some company on what has so far been a tough challenge. Thanks!

A few thank you’s

As I continue my challenge there have been people along the way that have shown me so much support that I just wanted to take a moment to thank them. Firstly, a huge thank you goes to the team at Tesco’s Express Inverness for allowing me to borrow their wheelchair for a few weeks whilst I recover from my blisters. It really has been a saviour! Secondly, my thanks go out to Alistair Mack for driving up to Inverness to deliver the event campervan. It has been invaluable for the team, so thank you.

Another thank you goes to the lovely June at the Days Inn, Abington for being a complete legend. Thank you for sorting out breakfast, room service, showers for the team, and parking throughout our stay. You were fantastic and I really appreciate all your help and support. Finally, a huge thank you to all the schools who have come out onto the streets to support me on. Balloch Academy, Crawford School and Luss Primary School have all been amazing. Seeing so many of your line the streets and hearing you cheer me on is a phenomenal boost and has really kept me going along the way.

A Sneak Peek Into My Life On The Road

I am up early every morning preparing myself for the long day ahead. I usually have breakfast around 7am which consists of cereal, fruit, a fry up and a strong cup of coffee (I need as much energy as I can possibly fit in!).
After breakfast it’s time for around an hour of media interviews. So far I have spoken with the likes of the Daily Telegraph, The Daily Mail, Smooth FM, the Scottish Herald & Times and of course daily live chats with the lads, Dino and Pete at the Capital FM Breakfast Show. It’s great to speak to them every day and have a bit of banter in the morning. Their support has been phenomenal. Once the media is done it’s down to the start line to meet the public runners for the day and have a few more photos taken. My trusty photographer Dave Baird is always snapping away to try and capture as much of the challenge as possible.
I’m usually on the road by 10am with the team by my side. The main crew consists of a medic, physio, the events co-ordinators as well as the photographer. Every 10km I have a quick pit stop to refuel and have a bit of a breather. I wouldn’t say we stop in the most glamorous of places – I have seen a lot of Scottish layby’s recently! Although saying that I did have a good break around Loch Lomond last week which was pretty stunning.

As I run further south, the word is obviously spreading as school children line the streets to come and support me. In Luss, a whole primary school came out of class to cheer “Go Richard Go”! It’s such a boost to see so many people supporting me. One little boy even passed me a freshly baked muffin to boost my energy levels for the day!
After another stop for lunch in layby number three of the day (!), I hit the road again to ensure I run the full 42km before it gets too late. I usually reach the hotel by around 4pm, but the time really does depend on what the weather is like and how I am feeling. Once back at the hotel it’s time for some more physio, an ice bath (which I hate), a big meal with my team and a good night’s sleep before I have to do it all again tomorrow. It’s all worth it though – just thinking about those who’ll benefit from the money I am raising keeps me going.

Previous page | Next page